Michigan Company Hiring Talent
University Research Corridor
Accepting Applications Now
URC PROGRAM MANAGER POSITION
Michigan’s University Research Corridor (URC) is seeking a program manager to round out a small, highly effective and creative team. Formed in 2006, the URC, an alliance of the state’s three major research universities – Michigan State University, University of Michigan and Wayne State University, is one of the nation’s top academic research clusters and a leading engine for innovation in Michigan and the Great Lakes region.
The URC Program Manager will be responsible for the design, development and oversight of programs that encourage greater research collaboration among the URC institutions, industry and government. This role is critical to communicating how URC research impact the lives and constituents of its target audiences (i.e., legislators, industry leaders, media, thought leaders and taxpayers). The Program Manager will work with faculty and staff at all three universities, as well as communications and research vendors, government, industry and nonprofits to promote the URC and its efforts to transform, strengthen and diversify Michigan’s economy.
Description of Duties
- Program Development/Management: This role includes working with the Executive Director, URC staff and University officials to develop programs that increase the amount of collaborative research among the three URC institutions; convening work groups/teams that include university faculty, private sector and public organizations to design and develop programs, including those that connect industry and university for talent and research interests and engagement; representing the URC at meetings and conferences to communicate the vision and results of the organization. (20%)
- Research/Reporting: This role includes working with the Executive Director, URC staff and University officials to develop research projects that measure the collective value of the URC universities that demonstrate the value propositions of the institutions and URC to Michigan; working with communications team to effectively disseminate research findings to target audiences (i.e., legislators, industry, media, thought leaders and taxpayers); and representing the URC at meetings and conferences to communicate the research findings. (20%)
- Marketing/Communications: This role includes working with the URC PR/Communications team to develop key messages and stories that target key stakeholders and support university government relations and communications efforts; maintaining consistency in messaging across outlets and partners; and assisting in the design and development of symposiums/conferences and events. (20%)
- Economic/Business Development: This role includes outreach to State and regional economic development organizations, as well as University-based business entities; identifying common interests and potential connections between universities, economic development organizations and industry on which to build connections; and facilitating interaction between businesses and URC institutions. (15%)
- Strategic Planning: This role includes working with the Executive Director, URC staff and University officials to conduct benchmarking, research and analysis and to develop short and long-term strategies to drive excellence, efficacy and sustainability of the URC. (15%)
- Special Projects and Misc.: This role includes serving on various public/private partnership teams; assisting in the preparation of URC reports and updates; and other activities as assigned by Executive Director. (10%)
- Bachelor degree
- Five years of experience in program/project development and management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced degree in public policy, business, economics, communications or related field
- Experience in managing research projects and/or programs in either the public or private sector
- Experience working in collaborative environment/building partnerships
- Experience in university, business, economic development, legislative/policy or related areas
- Knowledge or expertise in communications/marketing/PR, legislative/government affairs and/or business/entrepreneurship/economic development research
- Ability to work independently and as an integral member of a collaborative team
- Possesses critical analysis skills, sound judgment and the ability and willingness to quickly adapt and learn.
Interested applicants may apply through the MSU job portal (http://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/499492/univ-research-corridor-program-mgr) – posting 516266.